It’s Wicked Wednesday. Hump Day. The week is half over. Time for a wicked indulgence. Comfort for a bad day or celebration for a good day. You earned it.
Today’s wicked indulgence: a nice little nap. There’s no rest for the wicked! Catch a few zzzs. A short little nap will relax you, energize you, and improve your mood.
Basically, find a comfortable, quiet place to lie down, close your eyes, and go to sleep. Try to sleep only ten to thirty minutes or you may wake up feeling groggy or have problems sleeping at bedtime.
Tips for a more indulgent and soothing nap:
- Choose a dark, quiet place to nap. Use a sound machine to mask the noise and use an eye mask to induce a quiet and dark environment. A gel mask can reduce dark circles under the eyes and reduce puffiness.
- Find a soft blanket and pillow for a comfortable nap.
- Loosen clothing.
- Light a lavender or vanilla scented candle.
- Set your phone to vibrate and set the alarm to wake you in 10 to 30 minutes.
- Pamper your feet by smoothing a creamy, scented moisturizer on them and put on a pair of warm socks. Bath and Body Works has Shea-infused sock that softens your feet as you wear them. So luxurious and you don’t have to bother with applying moisturizer! Wearing socks helps you fall asleep faster.
A little cat nap a day will relax you and make you more alert. It can lower your blood pressure and improve your immunity. It causes your brain to process short term memories into longer-term storage.
Just lying down for ten to thirty minutes can be restful even if you cannot fall asleep. Lying down with your eyes closed, causes your heartbeat to slow to a restful pace and your muscles and organs to relax.
There is a free iPhone/iPad app called Pzizz that can help you take a nap. It can take you into a deep regenerative sleep. The progam has a built in alarm and can be used for napping or sleeping. It is composed of hypnotherapy and binaural beats designed to pull you into the depth of a good nap.
Coffee naps are wonderful if you are traveling or need a quick burst of energy. Drink a cup of coffee and then take a 20 minute nap. You don’t even have to fall asleep. Resting or dozing for 20 minutes works just as well. Scientists have studied the “coffee nap”. Results have determined that the” coffee nap” does cause an increase in productivity and memory.
There is a yoga pose called the Viparita Karani Pose (Legs-Up-The-Wall Pose) which is supposed to be equivalent to two hours of sleep. Simply ease into a pose where your legs lean straight up against the wall, butt is pressed against the wall, and arms are spread out on the floor. Look for step by step instructions in order to peform it correctly.
Meditation can be as beneficial as taking a nap. Meditation improves breathing, circulation, and stress. It is very calming and restful. Meditation is more about emotional and mental rest but it can also rest the body.