What a beautiful day!
I am expecting this week to be a lovely one. I am excited to be working on organizing and simplifying my home. I have been studying Pinterest for closet organizing ideas. It seems that you can spend a lot of money on organizing paraphernalia so I am hoping to organize on a budget. I need to visit the dollar store tomorrow for some extra baskets and bins. I’ve already spent too much money on OXO containers.
We will be retiring to a different house in about 5 years so there is no need to spend a lot of money on this one. Our present home is very nice but we don’t have a lot of storage space upstairs and I haven’t figured out where to store things. We thought we would put everything in the basement and just get it when we needed it. That has turned out to be very inconvenient and now we have too much clutter in our living spaces. I can’t function in chaos and clutter. I can’t think when my house is a mess. I can’t find stuff. I can’t remember what I have and am always buying stuff I already have. It’s crazy!
I am starting with my kitchen. I have already cleaned beneath my kitchen sink and organized it with baskets. I love it. I am working on my pantry closet. I have bought some tubs and organized our water and soda bottles on the floor. I ordered some shelves to be installed on the inside of the door to hold all those little things that get lost in there. I also ordered two OXO containers for my flour and sugar. They should all be arriving today so I am taking everything out and scrubbing the whole closet. Hopefully, I can get my husband to install the shelves tonight.
Those OXO containers are very expensive. I’m not sure that buying them is a good decision. I fell in love with the way they looked. I have learned that you should love the things you buy. It makes me happy.
Weekly Goal: Simplify!
Life is overwhelming. Life is full of commitments and chores and rituals. It is impossible to keep up with all the demands. I am tired of trying. I spent last week learning to slow down and take my time and I felt so relaxed. The next few weeks will be spent decluttering my home.
Here is a list of a few things we can do to simplify our lives:
- Slow down.
- Forget the small stuff and don’t overthink.
- Own less stuff.
- Limit your choices and learn to say “no”.
- Forget about multitasking and focus on one task at a time.
- Prioritize and make time for the important people in your life.
- Live debt free. You are owned by your debt.
- Disconnect from technology time wasters like constantly checking your email and Facebook.
- Avoid negativity, negative self-talk, and negative people.
- Eat well, exercise and maintain your health.
- Volunteer. Give back. Helping other helps your enjoyment of life. (These wonderful tips are from a blog written by Carl Phillips)
Weekly Gratitude Journal:
1. I am happy to be alive and breathing on this beautiful August morning.
2. I am happy to have activities to look forward to this week: our state fair parade and concerts.
3. I am grateful for FaceTime. Yesterday we watched a tour of our oldest son’s new home. He and his family are so excited to be moving into their first home.
4. My favorite part of the weekend was sleeping in late curled up next to my husband yesterday morning.
5. I love this cool, comfortable weather. We are getting a short break from the usual hot, humid dogdays of August.
Have a great day!