Summer. I want a lazy summer this year. I want long, hot summer days with an occasional intense, threatening thunderstorm. I want to stay up late reading summer romance novels in bed. I want to sleep late and relax in my pajamas until noon. I want to eat corn on the cob, grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon, and ice cream. I want to drink frosty lemonade. I want to go to baseball games, farmers markets, and county fairs. I want to spend afternoons at the pool or playing miniature golf. I want to sit on my porch and watch the world go by. I love summer. I want to enjoy every minute of it. Time passes much too quickly these days.
It won’t be easy to relax and have fun. I have been doing a lot of couch time lately. My knee injury requires a lot of rest. I have been reading a lot of good summer romances, writing, crafting, and watching television. These are things I enjoy doing but I felt a little guilty about laying around when there was a lot of housework needing to be done. I did need to rest. My knee is slowly healing and I can be a little more active if I am careful not to overdo it. So, there are a lot of neglected chores around the house to do: weeding and trimming the yard and cleaning the house. Having fun should be a priority so I will need to find a compromise.
I am compiling a list of summer activities that I would like to do this year. Sometimes my husband and I feel like doing something and nothing sounds good. I can check things off my list. Maybe I can do some planning.
This will be a fun summer and I promise not to complain about how hot it gets!
Here is my summer fun list:
1. Watch fireworks.
2. Go to the beach.
3. Go to a baseball game, drink beer, and eat hotdogs.
4. Ride my bike on the bike trail a couple of times a week.
5. Float around a swimming pool on a raft or noodle.
6. Go to a barbecue.
7. Listen to an outdoor concert.
8. Go fishing.
9. Picnic in the park.
10. Read one or more novels a week.
11. Go to the Henson Robinson Zoo to see the penguins.
12. Go out for ice cream or frozen yogurt at Dairy Queen or Cherry Berry.
13. Feed the ducks at Washington Park.
14. Sit out on the back porch with a cooler of beer and some snacks and watch the sunset. Light some candles afterward and watch the night.
15. Go to the Farmer’s Market at the fairgrounds.
16. Watch a movie at the Route 66 Drive In Movie Theatre.
17. Play miniature golf.
18. Make a pitcher of cold, frosty lemonade.
19. Make a pitcher of cold, fruity sangria.
20. Take a summer road trip.
I am ready to enjoy my summer. I have a stack of good books on my nightstand just waiting to be read, a couple of sets of Cubs tickets, and two vacations scheduled.
I love this song:
“I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today Life is good today…” Zac Brown Band